How to Apply for NBI ClearanceJanuary 1, 2013
Over the years, the NBI Clearance has been one of the most popular Valid Identification to obtain. One of the reason is it is government-issued and it is easy to acquire. It is also one of the basic requirements from most employer’s before we get hired plus it instantly provides a background check that serve as a proof that we don’t have a “stained” criminal record.
All over the Philippines, there are hundreds of thousands of NBI Clearance applicants daily. It’s such an embarrassment if you don’t know how to apply for one. Well, today is the day. We will walk you through the application of NBI Clearance so that no one will get lost when applying for one. The key element in applying for an NBI Clearance is learning the entire process and what to expect so that when something happens, you won’t be shocked and lost in the dark. We will eliminate the element of surprise to avoid disappointments and irritation that most applicants suffer. So what are we waiting for? Let’s start.
To give you a brief update, NBI is now implementing the NBI Biometric Clearance systems. This means, the new system involves the scanning of the ten fingerprints of the applicant. We can now forget the previous process where we we’re assisted by a NBI Employee having our fingerprints with their messy inks on our fingers then charging us two pesos for the ink remover. The new system boasts a computerized finger print scanner which is really convenient for us.
The old NBI Clearance (the one with inked fingerprints) is not valid anymore for renewal. Though, it can also be used as a reference to your application.
Requirements for applying NBI Clearance
Before going to the nearest NBI Clearance Outlet, make sure to bring all the necessary requirements in applying for your NBI Clearance. NBI requires you to present two (2) valid IDs. The list of valid IDs accepted by NBI Clearance Outlet are:
- Valid passport
- Voter’s ID
- Driver’s License
- PRC License
- SSS ID
- GSIS UMID
- Postal ID
- School ID
- Tax Identification Number (TIN) ID
- Philhealth ID
- NSO Authenticated Birth Certificate
- Alien Certificate of Registration
- Senior Citizen
- Previous Copy of NBI Clearance
Some NBI Clearance Outlets requires Community Certificate or Cedula together with the two (2) Valid Identification Cards you present. As of this writing, we still don’t know the bearing of cedula in applying for NBI Clearance. Maybe the Government wants to dupe more bucks from us.
NBI Clearance Fees
The NBI Clearance fee depends on the purpose of application, please be aware of the fees to be collected.
|Purpose of Application||Clearance Fee|
|Cancellation of Alien Certificate Of Registration (ACR)|
|Change of Name|
|Permit to Carry Firearms|
|NFA, POEA, PRA, SEC Requirement|
|Travel Abroad||P 115.00|
Based from our experience, an NBI Clearance with the purpose of Travel Abroad can also use as a requirement in Local Employment. But a NBI Clearance for Local Employment is not acceptable for Traveling Abroad.
NBI Clearance Outlets
It is convenient that you know where you can get your NBI Clearance. Before heading down to your chosen NBI Clearance Outlets, keep in mind to wear the proper dress code. You can refer to the Guidelines to be observed in applying NBI Clearance or you can refer to the Proper Dress codes in applying for NBI Clearance. The list of NBI Clearance outlets in Metro Manila is enumerated below
|NBI Clearance Outlet||NBI Location Address|
|NBI Clearance Center||U. N. Avenue, Ermita, Manila|
|Quezon City Hall||Makatarungan St. Diliman QC|
|Muntinlupa City||Victory Shopping Center, Alabang|
|Mandaluyong City Hall||Maysilo Circle, Mandaluyong City|
|SM SouthMall||Alabang Zapote Rd, Las Pinas|
|Robinson’s Place||Basement I Ermita, Manila|
|Robinson’s Otis||Level 2 Guanzon St Paco, Mla|
|Robinson’s Galleria||Basement I Ortigas Ave QC|
|Robinson’s Metro East||Level 4 Marcos Hi-way Pasig|
|Robinson’s Cainta||Level 2 Junction Cainta, Rizal|
|Robinson’s Novaliches||Novaliches QC|
|Ever Gotesco Recto||3rd Flr Cinema 3 Recto Ave, Manila|
|Ever Commonwealth||2nd Flr Cinema I Commonwealth Ave., QC|
|Duty Free Fiesta Mall||Ninoy Aquino Ave., Paranaque City|
We cannot say which NBI Clearance outlet has the least applicants because (1) we can’t monitor the volume of applicants daily per NBI Clearance Outlet and (2) it’s really pure luck if you manage to get your NBI Clearance on your target processing time.
All NBI Processing Centers are open from Mondays to Fridays except Holidays.
NBI Clearance Outlet office hours varies from one to another.
- Regional and District Offices, Local Government Units and Ever Gotesco Malls are open from 8:00AM to 5:00PM
- NBI Clearance in Robinsons Malls is open from 10:00AM to 7:00PM
- Duty Free Philippines is open from 9:00AM to 5:00PM
Steps in Applying NBI Clearance
- Fill out and present the accomplished application form together with two (2) valid ID’s to the Data Check Counter for checking if data are complete and correct. Make sure that you accurately fill out your NBI Clearance Application Form or else it will be returned to you for corrections.This is the part where you wait in line. Several NBI Clearance Outlets encounter long lines of applicants in obtaining a blank NBI Clearance Application Form and in the presentation of the filled out Application form to the Data Check Counter. What you need here is to be patient and wait for your turn.
- Pay for the corresponding NBI Clearance fee at the Payment Counter. Refer to the NBI Clearance Fee above for the fees related to the purpose of your application.This might sound redundant but you need to fall in line again (after the Data Check Counter). This time, you’ll pay the corresponding NBI Clearance Fee.
- The data on the application form will be encoded at the Data Entry or Encoding Counter. A PC monitor is provided for the applicants to check any encoding error, thus, avoiding repayment on their part and complaint against the encoder.You don’t have to do anything here.The NBI Clearance Personnel will encode every detail that you have disclosed in your application form. Your only responsibility here is to write legibly. You don’t want the NBI Clearance Personnel to get confused with your poor handwriting.
- Picture-taking or image capture and scanning of the applicant’s fingerprints (Biometric) will follow.It is not clearly stated in NBI Clearance Application if having a beard or mustache is allowed. We’re not aware of “No Beard, No Mustache Policy”. But for those people who really don’t mind shaving, then do it. Those who feel not shaving, do what you want. Remember that if the NBI Clearance rejects you because of your thick beard or mustache, it’s your fault. But it’s really up to you and we don’t have a business in your personal lives, so feel free to do anything.
Finger printing is one easy task to accomplish. You just need to place your ten fingers on the scanner and that’s it.
- At the Image and Biometric Counter, name of applicant is automatically searched against the Name Database to check whether one has no or with namesake.This is the part where you need to pray that you don’t have a namesake. Because if your do, further verification will be needed.
- NBI Clearance certificate of one who has no namesake will be printed at the Printing Counter and released on the same date of application. Those with namesakes are verified against the Criminal History Database to check whether one has criminal record/s.
- Those with namesakes are advised to proceed to the Releasing Counter. The release date is written at the back of the Official Receipt when to claim your NBI Clearance. The applicants with “Hit” Status will return to the NBI Clearance Outlet after Eight (8) working days.
- Those found to have criminal records are advised to proceed to the Quality Control for interview. Interviewers will require an applicant to execute an Affidavit of Denial if he is not the offender and Court Clearance/Order if he is the offender.
Guidelines to be observed in applying NBI Clearance
The following guidelines must be observed by any applicants:
- NBI Clearance is a First Come First Serve Basis.
- NBI Clearance Applicants must observe proper dress code. Avoid coming to the venue wearing slippers, shorts and sando to prevent rejection.
- Applicants must bring two (2) valid ID. Government Issued ID’s are preferred.
- Courtesy lanes are provided for Senior Citizens, Pregnant Women, Nursing Mother and those with Disability (PWD).
- There is no more renewal of NBI Clearance. However, the old NBI Clearance (with ink fingerprints) can be attached to your application form for NBI Personnel’s reference.
- NBI Clearance can be claimed by any Authorized Person of the Applicant as long as an Authorization Letter is provided.
While most of the people still prefer the old conventional way, we highly suggest using the NBI Clearance Online Application (NBI E-Clearance). We have heard a lot of positive feedback about the new NBI Clearance Online application. You can learn more about the NBI Clearance Online application here.
If you are a Filipino living abroad and you are trying to apply for NBI Clearance, you may read this guide on how you can easily submit your NBI Clearance application in any part of the world.
Our job is done here. Are there any noteworthy information that we have missed? Some practical tips that we left out? Please share us your thoughts and help others especially the future NBI Clearance applicants.
Write them down in the comments section. Have a great day ahead!